Located in the northwest of Yunnan Province, Lijiang is 527km from the capital city Kunming, where is above 2,400 meters of mean sea level and sun-drenched all the year around. Having the airport and traverse highways, the city is easy of access.
Lijiang City is the base of the Naxi minority who number about 300,000 in Yuannan and Sichuan; there is a matriarchal society where property and children belong to the female. Some of their older customs have survived in one version or another from time immemorial; it is the custom for a young man to knock at the door of a young woman – if the woman cares to open it then he will the bed partner for the night. There is no limit to the number of door knockings and no marriage as such. To finish off the relationship is a simple matter of slamming the door in the face of the guest!
Lijiang is a realm of imagination, which catches the eyes of the world and his wife with the snowcapped mountains, unique topography, luxuriant forest, great rivers, small sleepy ancient towns, sensuous lakes, and the mystery of ethnic culture… It enjoys the names of 'A Diamond Hiding in the Mountains' and 'A Bright Pearl in the High Plateau' in China. It has been the heaven of botanists, geographers, anthropologists and explorers throughout the world. It provides the most unforgettable attractions in the world: Lijiang Old Town, Lake Lugu, Tiger Leaping Gorge, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, Spruce Plateau, White Water River, Dry Sea, Black Dragon Pool, Dieshui Water Fall, Lijiang Murals, First Bend of the Yangtze River, Lijiang Residential Houses...
Lijiang Ancient City is also known as Dayan Old Town, located in Lijiangba, Yunnan Province, is an ancient town inhabited mainly by the Naxi minority people. The town was founded in 1127... more>>
300 kilometers away from Lijiang, the Lugu Lake remains an uncontaminated plateau lake. Besides the scenery, it is more renowned for the ancient local Mosuo people with their matriarchal society...more>>
Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hu Tiao Xia) is a canyon on the Yangtze River - locally called the Golden Sands River - located 60 km north of Lijiang City, Yunnan in China... more>>
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, 5500m above sea level with 13 peaks, a treasure of wild plants and rare animals, are like a silver dragon lying in the clouds... more>>
Different from the Machu Pichu of the Inca Empire, the Baoshan Stone City has existed for thousands of years. The Naxi people found here and built a town on a huge rock...more>>
First Bend of Yangtze River is a famous attraction nearby Lijiang and not so far from the Tiger Leaping Gorge, the rivers are usually seen in conjunction with it as part of a one day tour...more>>
1. View the stunning mountains in your Lijiang tour in Yunnan, such as the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and Laojun Muntain. The Former is known as the 'glacier museum' and the 'cornucopia of animal and plant life', while the latter is famous for its primitive forests, associations of plants and animals, and the spectacular Danxia landforms (Danxia geomorphology), it is the center of Three Parallel Rivers.
2. You can see many ancient towns in Lijiang. Among them the Dayan Ancient Town is most famous, which was listed as the World Cultural Heritage City by the UNESCO in December 4, 1997. The building experts dub Lijiang the "Museum of Folk House". You can see the quaint half-timber Naxi-style houses in the Ancient Town of Lijiang (aka Dayan Old Town) and the timber houses built by Mosuo people on the shore of the Luku Lake. These houses still retain their several-century-ago style.
3. Lijiang is one of the sinitic paradises. Trip to the city, you will find a primitive civilized world. The minorities, especially the Naxi People have their own writing system—Pictograph, unique fashion of painting—Baisha Murals (or Lijiang murals), beautiful music—Naxi Ancient Music and mystic religion-Dongba Religion (a kind of Shamanism).
4. There are 13 ethnic groups reside in Lijiang namely Naxi, Bai, Mosuo, Xibo, Buyi, Hui (Muslim), Pumi, Tibetan,Tujia, Lisu, Yi, Miao and Han. Some of them still keep their special customs, culture, religion and architecture. You will discover something special from them. For example, the Mosuo ethnic group still live in the matriarchal clan society. Most of them have no marriage, husbands and wives only live together at night. Before dawn, husbands have to leave wives' rooms and go back their mother's homes. Women have the last word in the family.
5. You can see many unique sights and attractions along the Jinsha River, such as the First Bend of the Yangtze River, Baoshan Stone Town (or Baoshan Stone City, it is a village built on a giant rock ), Tiger Leaping Gorge…
6. In Lijian, there are many beautiful lakes which can not be described by languages. Once you approach them you will get into a world of Utopia…