1. The best travel time to Guilin is from April to October. However, try to avoid the golden week, the Chinese National Day (1 October to 7 October) when all the people in China seem to move around. Also Spring Festival in January or February should also be avoided since many families take a trip in the country. At these times you can expect difficulties with hotel reservations, ticket booking and traffic conditions and prices are frequently much higher.
2. Spring and summer are rainy seasons of Guilin so take an umbrella with you just as a precaution; Comfortable footwear suitable for walking is a must all the year round.
3. If you visit to Guilin in June, July, August and September, it would be wise to do some precaution to protect your eyes and skins. Sun cream, hats and sunglasses are absolutely necessary. Some local herbal tea, some medicine to prevent heatstroke and insect repellant will help you become accustomed to the local climate.
4. Drink some vinegar or eat some garlic before meals, if you’re not acclimatized to Guilin’s natural environment.
5. Warm clothes are needed for winter-wear, while in spring and autumn something lighter with a woolen sweater will be comfortable. T-shirts with skirts, shorts or slacks are the best choice for summer when the temperature can be rather high.
6. Take care of the Free Trap from strangers. Don’t trust strangers on the streets who asking you to some bars or enjoy some shows in Guilin or Yangshuo. If you are interesting in the local bars or shows, please ask your Guilin tour guide, he/she will give you some helpful advice.
7. There are many vendors near the Guilin tourist attractions. If you really like some items, you can bargain; but don’t bargain if you don’t want it, avoid getting into trouble with the vendors.
8. A cruise down the picturesque Li River is the absolute highlight in Guilin. The best time for the river cruise is April, May, September and October. Of course, the best time is the crowded time especially during the Golden week (the first week of October).
9. The walkways in the Reed Flute Cave are mostly made up of stairs. Surfaces could be wet and slippery. The entrance and the exit of the cave are located differently. If you visit this sight, please follow your tour guide all the time during the visit.
10. Safety First! Please mind your lighter and don’t take cigarette when climbing hills in Guilin.
11. Don’t forget to take a camera. The beautiful landscapes of Guilin will touch your heart. You may enjoy yourself so much as to forget to leave this city!
Guilin Tour Emergency Call Numbers
110 Call police for help in any danger
119 Dial this number when fire or other disaster happens
120 Call for an ambulance
122 Dial this number when a traffic accident happens